Traditional Health Workers (THWs) are frontline public health workers who work in a community or clinic under the direction of a licensed health provider. There are five specialty types of THWs:
- Community Health Workers. Assist individuals and their community to achieve positive health outcomes.
- Personal Health Navigators. Assist individuals to achieve positive health outcomes.
- Peer Support Specialists. Focus on recovery from addiction/mental health conditions.
- Peer Wellness Specialists. Focus on recovery from addiction/mental health and physical conditions.
- Birth Doulas. Assist women with pre-natal care.